Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"I Love the Beatles FOREVER!"

So I obviously failed at completing this blog challenge in the alloted amount of time, but better late than never right?!

Number 3: Talk about a person or specific interaction from your day

Saturday the roommates and I embarked on a 9 mile hike in 110 degree weather up to Cathedral Mountain in Sedona, Arizona. 4 hours, 200 pictures, 3 wilderness bathroom breaks, and 1 skinned knee later we arrived at a creek as we headed back to our starting point.

We had seen the rope swing on the way up and decided that we would test it out on our return trip. Naturally by the time we reached the creek we discovered it was only about 2 1/2 feet deep, plus fully emerging ourselves in water wouldn't make much sense being about 20 minutes from the car. So instead, we dipped our feet in and watched two little girls, no older than 8, have the time of their lives on this rope swing.

"I love the Beatles forever!!!!!"
Photo By: Kendra Osburn

The girl in the front is named Kara and we never learned the name of the girl in the back. But I can tell you that these two girls are best friends and have been since they were 1.

They love the Beatles FOREVER!
(and so they shouted every time they swung over the water)

Kara has 6 Beatles posters, 2 Beatles blankets, and is their biggest fan. Kara's friend is a close second and has a crush on George Harrison and Paul McCartney, but only from 1960 to 1965.

These two girls were full of passion and without a care in the world, and in being so, reminded me of Amanda and me at that age.

We were literally joined at the hip. We spent every day after school together and had sleep overs on Friday nights. We tagged along on each other's family vacations and spent countless hours playing house, making up dances, getting into trouble, and riding in the back of her dad's pick up truck.

Not only were these two girls passionate about the Beatles, but they were passionate about their friendship. I know this because right away I noticed how much they mirrored my friendship with Amanda. Kara was timid and her friend was the thrill seeker, but encouraged Kara to try to rope swing and soon enough she love it. They weren't competitive - one didn't love the Beatles more than the other, they were just simply glad they had someone to share their passion with.

They reminded me what friendship is all about.

The rest of the weekend Kendra, Kara, and I shouted "I love the Beatles forever!" and fell back into our 8 year old selves having random laughing fits, taking in every aspect of our surroundings, and absolutely loving life and each other's company.

Our trip to Arizona was truly awesome; as in breathtaking and inspiring. The Grand Canyon was the most brilliant sight I have ever seen, and those 48 hours spent with my roommates were absolutely the best of my summer.

I live for moments like the one at the creek. Moments where I witness someone else's happiness. Moments where I am brought back to my childhood. Moments where new memeories with new people are created. Moments where I am fully aware of myself and my surroundings. Moments where I see, feel, and know love.

Kara and her friend love the Beatles FOREVER,

But I love Amanda FOREVER!

and I love Kendra and Kara FOREVER!



(Now, I may have stretched this question a little too thin in not specifically talking about someone/interaction from my day. But on Saturday these girls were significant and I lacked a computer and all energy to blog then. Those girls also served as an important link between my past and my present. Therefore, you got more than I had originally intended in coming up with this question for our blog challenge.)


No comments:

Post a Comment