Saturday, July 31, 2010

G Avenue

I couldn't tell you the first thing about fiber glass.
Like what it's made of, what it's used for, or how it fulfills its function.
But I can tell you that fiber glass is the cause of the 50 or so tiny cuts all over my hands, arms, neck, and face.

Manual labor usually isn't my thing.
After tacking up insulation underneath a house, installing snap in flooring, painting countless rooms, and attempting to chop wood with a maul I got my fix and retired my hammer.
(Thank you Nazareth Farm for such an opportunity.)
But suddenly my never ending curiosity about Habitat for Humanity led me to venture out and test my construction ability once again.

I woke up at 6:30 this morning, put on a grungy t-shirt and a ripped pair of jeans and headed out to National City where I spent all day installing air ducts and crawling around in the rafters of a work-in-progress home.

I had the time of my life.
And not just because I totally love climbing on things and pretending I'm good at something that I'm not, but because of how these 7 hours spent combating fiber glass gave me a totally new perspective.

I've always wondered what 'type' of people volunteer their time to build houses for low income families.
(I think this is part of my quest in discovering who I actually am. Like... If I am the sort of person volunteering my time to build houses for low income families, than who does that make me? And what is my reason for doing it?)
I was pleasantly surprised to find an incredibly diverse group of people volunteering today, and an answer that left me still curious but quite content.

I realized how tiring manual labor actually is, and I walked away with a greater appreciation for blue collar workers. I now have a visual of what is behind all the drywall in our homes and how much work goes into a single house.

I wondered about the manufacturing of ducts and laughed at my inability to walk away unharmed. I thought of all the homeless men standing outside the day-labor office on my way to work and finally understood why so many of them prefer panhandling to making minimum wage doing backbreaking work when they can earn twice as much standing with a cardboard sign at a freeway exit.

Today was a wonderful day. I learned something new - about construction, about the economy, about homeless individuals, about doing good for others, and about myself.

I can't wait til August 14th when I have the chance to go back to G Avenue and continue working on homes that will soon be inhabited by deserving families.
:)

This is the day the Lord has made, let us give thanks and be glad.


No comments:

Post a Comment