Monday, July 12, 2010

Fairy Tales Last Forever.



What movie did I always wish I were in?

I bet you thought I came up with this topic for our blog challenge didn't you? Well guess again, because it was all Kendra. Do you really think I'm capable of choosing just one movie I want to be the star in - to have as my reality? Yeah right. Folks, I am the definition of a hopeless romantic... or what Kara and I prefer to call HOPEFUL romantic.

Prepare yourselves, for what I'm about to divulge might scare some of you, because not only have I thought about this question over and over and over since I was 15, but in some instances have forced significant others to act out scenes from my favorite movies.

Okay, [deep breath] here we go.

1. Never Been Kissed
I always thought I wanted to be a writer; after all, I was an english major once. I figured, maybe I could share my first kiss (with a new person) on the top of a pitchers mound right before a high school baseball game. That is, of course, after he reluctantly reads the article I wrote for the local newspaper asking him to meet me there.

2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 days
I love meeting families, and even more than that, I love being accepted into families. And I long to visit New York, learn to ride a motorcycle in Staten Island, and romantically have my shirt pulled off over my head and stumble into the shower with a man who I've tried to drive away, only to have him run back to me time and time again.

3. My Best Friend's Wedding
I wish I had Julianne's confidence and George as my best friend.
I also may or may not have made such a pact once (okay, maybe twice) while highly intoxicated.

4. John Tucker Must Die
My celebrity crush, Penn Badgley, stars as the male version of me. Library boy. The over looked nerdy individual who is never quite perceived as the datable type, but in the end lands the girl of his dreams.

5. 13 going on 30
I don't have a male best friend from my childhood, but maybe one day when I'm 30 I'll cross paths with my male best friend from high school or college, fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after. Or maybe I wont.

6. Roman Holiday
How cool would it be if I were a princess meandering the streets of Rome with a man who found me drunk on a brick wall and pretends he doesn't know my status? This man will later choose me over his career by not selling me out to the press. :)

7. Sleepless in Seattle
Do you believe in soul-mates?

8. Love Actually
If a foreign man proposed to me in my native tongue, my husband's best friend professed his love for me, or I shared a kiss with the Prime Minister of England, I would die a happy woman.

9. Serendipity
If I ever find a pair of gloves while sitting on a bench in New York City I'll be sure to walk to the center of the ice skating rink to find my soulmate. And if I am Christmas shopping and come across a man who wants to buy the exact pair of gloves I've just picked up, I will invite him to dinner, write my name on the inside of a book, and run off hoping one day we will meet again.

10. Pretty Woman
So maybe I'll never be a hooker, but maybe, just maybe the man of my dreams will climb the fire escape up to my window on the top floor of my building and propose to me because he thinks the world of me... oh and my best friend will compare me to Cinde-fucking-rella.

I could go on like this forever, but I'll stop at 10 and cut to the chase.

Because perhaps the movie that I really really wish were my reality is Breakfast at Tiffany's. I mean seriously, how cute is Gregory Peck? But aside from the obvious man candy, I am entirely fascinated by Holly Golightly. She is absolutely out of her mind. She is an emotionally unstable, gold digging socialite that is entirely unaware to the love that is staring her straight in the eye. She is unreasonable, irrational, and hopelessly obsessed with obtaining money over love. She runs away from the only man who has ever truly loved her, and pushes away the only man she's every truly loved. It isn't until an unsuccessful engagement and a night in jail that Holly Golightly unwillingly faces her true emotions and comes to her senses about her love for Paul Varjak - the man who has been persistent and come to her rescue time and time again.

Plus, her fashion is unbelievable - she has the most incredible orange coat I have ever seen, and dreamt of having since my first encounter with this movie. She can make herself absolutely beautiful in under 10 minutes. She is hilarious, crazy, and entirely too confident. But wonderful all the same. She finds a ballet shoe in her refrigerator and stores her telephone in an old suitcase to muffle the noise.

But most importantly, she's a day dreamer (much like I am)... eating her breakfast outside of Tiffany's dreaming of a place where nothing bad could ever happen to her.

And lastly, Paul may or may not take her to a public library :)

"I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I'm not sure where that is but I know what it is like. It's like Tiffany's."

Okay there you have it. If I could star in any movie and make it my reality Breakfast at Tiffany's it is.

So maybe I am a little insane, a little crazy, a little out of my of mind. But I'm hopeful that one day I will have my own unique kind of love story and I will no longer have to live inside the walls of my pieced together fairy tale.

But fairy tales last forever right?

No comments:

Post a Comment