Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Street Sense

This morning I woke up, showered, poured myself a cup of steaming coffee and settled down with Enduring Love (the less than romantic novel I am currently obsessing over).

But as I sat at my table staring out the window at everyone walking, driving, and hurrying down Misison Blvd I decided to trade in Enduring Love for StreetSense (a website my aunt introduced me to a week or so back that I had yet to explore).

It may not seem too shocking that I gave up a novel for news; fiction for reality, but if you know me half as well as I know myself (which really isn't that well) than you are perfectly aware of the fact that I live my life as if it were a movie. I am constantly in an alternate reality. One that is more blissful and perfect than the one I have been uncontrollably grounded in, where I pass my days pretending I am Audrey Hepburn starring in a black and white romantic comedy. This is exactly why I am currently nose deep in a work of fiction by an english writer who explores love and faith through suspense and tragedy hoping for a powerful, strong, and happy ending.

Perhaps it was the sundry population traveling by my window... the Caucasian couple riding their bikes, a group of Hispanic women exiting a cleaning service van, the Asian woman who lives above me, or the African America dad with his son, that caused this transfer of my attention from fiction to reality. Or perhaps it was just me coming to terms with the fortune surrounding me - living in a house on the beach, listening to pandora on my mac, making coffee and deciding what to eat for breakfast, a warm shower, a solid 8 hours of sleep...

Whatever the reason, I began exploring this particular website that advocates for the issues of poverty and homelessness (perhaps one of my biggest passions in my 21 year old life). I made my way through the mission of Street Sense and then onto a few articles before I once again was overcome with irritation and a mild form of anger. (This seems to be a normal reaction when I witness or educate myself on the injustice in the world. I am in the process of trying to funnel this anger into something more productive like compassion and service - compassionate service).

I read an article on homeless moms-to-be and was happy to find that there are multiple organizations in the D.C. area helping these women make solid homes for their babies.

I read an article written by a street vendor who told of the people he has met on the streets, which sales techniques work on different types of people, and how becoming a vendor for Street Sense has allowed him to support other homeless individuals like himself.

But then I read an article entitled "It's Time to Face Reality" - something I certainly need to do more often. I was suddenly infuriated to find out that the US Department of Health and Human Services believes $10,952 per year is enough for a single individual to survive, and that $21,947 is enough for a family of four. Who are we kidding? If $11,000 and $22,000 are considered to be ABOVE the poverty level (when in reality this isn't a livable wage) what we consider to be "poor" lies even further below this number? Do the individuals deciding upon these numbers really believe that 900 dollars a month is enough for shelter, food, water, health insurance, safety, clothing...

There are 49 million people in the United States don't know when their next meal will be... There are 49 million people living at or below the poverty level. There are 49 million people making less than $11,000 a year.

This number is chilling... 49 million people is nearly 16% of the United States population, and I can't help but believe that my frustration is sound.

So many people are suffering from poverty but are refused governmental support because they are not legally classified as poor according to U.S. Health and Human Services. We are adding to the poverty toll by refusing to provide aid to those who are clearly experiencing poverty.

I keep asking myself, "how can our government speak guiltlessly about the issue of "poverty" and decide that $11,000 is enough to survive with the essentials each individual in America has the right to after being born in the land of the free?" When I am given responses of laziness, substance abuse/addiction, and life choices I become even more frustrated, for certainly I am not naive enough to count these out, but I am also not ignorant enough to believe that this is solely the reason for 49 million people being without food this very minute.

We are the fortunate ones who have no concept of what poverty actually entails because we never have, and most likely never will experience such a poor life. We are privileged, we are powerful, we have the ability to create change, yet we use our privilege and power negatively, working not toward but against fostering social justice in our country of freedom and equality.

I realize now exactly why I live with my head in the clouds... it's because in my make-believe reality I don't experience such anger and frustration with the truth of our country. In my reality of romantic novels, blissful summers, and irreplaceable relationships I am not bothered by such issues as poverty and homelessness, rather I see equality, happiness, and love. But these issues are real, and something needs to be done... starting with me.

I have and continue to work for social justice; to put an end to poverty and homelessness because I truly believe that I am working toward a future I will never live to see, but know that I am contributing to the process of a future I hope will one day exist.

One day my frustration will end and I will be that much more productive. One day, someone will see the work of the many who have come together and overturned legislation and governmentally decided numbers. One day.



1 comment: