Thursday, June 24, 2010

Balboa Park

It's all becoming so normal... spending my days at work with 36 children under the age of 8 and my nights surrounded by men and women no younger than 65. It's wonderful really, absolutely wonderful.


I'm beginning to see how innocent and charming the very young and the very old truly are. Neither are self conscious, aware of their surroundings, or phased by their appearances. They just simply ARE. They are alive. They are happy. They are in the moment. They do what they want and exactly what they feel. They are passionate and loving.


From hugs to handshakes, from jumping to dancing, from tears to smiles... The very young and the very old intrigue me beyond belief every single day.


But today, today was especially wonderful.


Alleeza colored a Disney Princess picture last night and gave it to me today.

Kloe wrapped her arms around my neck countless times and refused to let go.

Nino ran around me in circles giggling.

And Daniella held my hand every chance she got.


Luke remembered my name.

Alex finally let me help her flip upside down.

Addy wanted me hold her.

And Elle asked in excitement "We get to be with you today?!"


But more wonderful than these moments was a particular couple dressed head to toe in matching outfits - matching hats, shirts, pants, shoes, belts, watches, superman buttons, and members only jackets. The two danced under the sun to Neil Diamond songs performed by a less than average cover band preforming in Balboa Park.


Initially my attention was drawn to a hobo dancing wildly by himself who unknowingly was causing all the children in the audience to point and laugh. I, too, was thoroughly entertained and even videotaped him for a good 30 seconds before I saw this couple. At first I giggled and wondered where they had been that called for matching outfits, but then I was fascinated. Love was clearly emanating from this duo. They were all smiles and danced slowly, only stopping when a song ended, but started right back up once the next one began. I watched them for an hour. Smiling to myself and taking picture after picture after picture.


IMG_0869.JPG.jpg

They are absolutely beautiful in their old age.


IMG_0866.JPG.jpg

They are alive. They are happy. They are in the moment.


IMG_0868.JPG.jpg

They are doing what they want and exactly what they feel.


I was so excited after watching these two that I went up and spoke to them after the concert. I giddily spurted out "Umm hi! I umm was watching you guys dance and I think you are the cutest thing ever! I just had to come and say hello!"


They both beamed at me and explained their love for dancing.


This couple attends outside concerts regularly just to dance. In fact, they don't really enjoy Neil Diamond at all but "thought they'd give it a try." They told me that they live to dance, specializing in Ballroom - especially Swing. She moved from Chicago when she was 13 and he from London at 16. They met at an outdoor roller rink in Los Angeles and have been dancing for over 30 years.


Before we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways he encouraged me to take up dancing and gave me the names the multiple places where I could take lessons as well as the times and dates of other free outdoor summer concert venues. (As we speak I am looking into both.)


I certainly hope I see him again next week when Cool Fever plays 50s, 60s, & 70s music Wednesday night in Balboa Park. And if not, then I will definitely look for then July 11th in La Jolla. :)


To being alive, happy, and in the moment...


Matching couple, you inspire me!




No comments:

Post a Comment