Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Treyber

Once upon a time I fell in love with you...

Now you are 1,000 distant memories crammed in a cardboard box on the top shelf of my closet at my parents house two hours away.

Now you are an essay I wrote in 12th grade english stored in an envelope at the bottom of my dresser drawer addressed to you so one day when we are 40 I'll find you and send it to you.

Now you are the pajama pants your brother gave me for Christmas that I still wear even 6 years later because I refuse to get rid of them.

Now you are the stories I recall on Thanksgiving and Christmas to the people who once thought of you as one of us because you were so much a part of my life and they loved you for that.

Now you are a name I speak often to people who have never met you but know that I loved you first, before anyone else had the chance and that I had the privilege of experiencing my most awkward years with you.

Now you are a sadness I carry around in my heart because I was silly and made a terrible mistake that severed our friendship and put a distance greater than any 6 hour drive between us.

I'm sorry.
More sorry than you know.

You loved me first.
You broke my heart first.

Thank you for forgiving me.
Thank you for putting up with me.

Thank you....

Because my 'once upon a time' really did end with 'happily ever after.'

No comments:

Post a Comment