Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Home's Lessons.

What I learned after spending 8 days at home:

I'm an adult now. If you didn't know, that's okay because apparently I didn't either. How did I come to this realization you ask? Well, my mother found it appropriate to remind me three times, "Taylor, just remember you're an adult now" before I opened my one of my presents Christmas morning.

Regardless of what you may have heard... bowling does not increase my sex appeal. I was in a bowling league during 5th grade and was mighty good might I add, but apparently my expertise diminished over the years and all that's left to show for such greatness was a measly score of 71 after 10 frames.

Maybe it isn't as appropriate to show up in your pjs when visiting friends at home as it is here in San Diego. I went to have dinner and play games with my best friend (since I was three) and not only did her dad (my second dad) ask how much wine I consumed because I'm a "light weight" as he put it, but questioned my attire when saying "Taylor, it sure was nice of you to dress up for me. Gosh." - Sorry Mike, I'm on vacation. You're lucky I showered before coming over. Love you! Night!

Apparently its cause for great concern in my house if I refuse to dress myself in discarded ribbons and bows on Christmas Eve, and even greater cause for concern if I'm not wandering around the house with an alcoholic beverage in my hand. What have I created of myself?!

Seven loads of laundry only means I have wayyyyyy too many clothes and am way too cheap to buy my own laundry detergent and pay 3 dollars per load. Transporting all this laundry back to San Diego was quite a task. Dirty laundry fits in one hamper while clean laundry fills an extra two trash bags.

It really doesn't matter if I put on a vintage dress, heals, make up, and curl my hair... I still look like I'm fourteen. You don't believe me? Well, heres a real life conversation between one of my mom's co-workers and me Christmas Eve day...
"Jodi! She looks just like you. How old are you honey?
"Oh, I'm 22"
"Oh my gosh! You look so young! I thought you were 14. But you're beautiful!!"
"Oh, thanks"

My dad and I are closer now than ever before. Perhaps its because of our daily trips to get coffee (where each time I lie about how good my coffee is and throw it away before he realizes I haven't finished it), bonding over our favorite U2 songs in the car, and endlessly shopping together for the perfect Christmas presents.

No matter how old I get... 20... 21...22, driving eastbound on the 91 freeway will always make me feel giddy, and no matter how old I get, Trey will always seem 16 and sharing a bottle of wine over dinner with him will always seem strange. (Also, my families awareness of my seeing said boy is pretty hilarious)

Home is my sanctuary. With a full size bed, cable TV, home cooked meals, and lots and lots of cuddling. Plus endless reasons to make my parents question my sanity, my intelligence, and my being in general... did they really give birth to such a politically incorrect, crude, and impolite child? Well yes, but parents, I only act as such around you... for the very reason of forcing you to question my sanity. It's quite entertaining :)

My Uncle Gary is quite possibly my favorite person alive. Not only does be buy me books for Christmas (he totally understands my need for fiction, oh, and overpriced clothing stores), but he sends me text messages about how pretty I looked the night before and humiliating videos from Thanksgiving which I would share but my roommate advised me not to, plus it wouldn't upload... maybe another time

I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed their time at home as much as I did!

Happy Holidays : )

No comments:

Post a Comment