Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The contents of a tiny box

In my dresser I keep a box that I pull out on rare occasions to remind myself of how loved I am. Inside this floral stationary box are my most prized possessions dating as far back as the day I was born. To an outsider it would appear random and meaningless... but each item inside has a story of its own and a reason for being stored in a special place.

In the midst of studying for finals and wishing so desperately I were home in Chino with my family, I pulled this box out for the first time this year and spent a few minutes reflecting on the contents of it.

Here is what I found...

* A total of 5 pictures
* A birthday card from the early 90s
* A strange pencil drawing
* "Why you are the apple of my eye"
* A prayer card
* A house key
* Random pieces of jewelry
* A candy bar wrapper
* An oval shaped piece of crystal
* Return address stickers
* "It's a girl" button from St. Joseph's hospital
* Yellow victoria secret underwear
* Varsity pins from my cheerleading days
* And an assortment of hand written letters, notes, and poems
* A guitar pick


I read the letters and notes and poems and cried. I looked diligently at the pictures and laughed. I tried on the jewelry and ran my fingers across the random objects and smiled.

I think everyone should have a little box of memories. It makes for a wonderful surprise and serves as the happiness you can't seem to find on gloomy days during finals week when your favorite new friend moves away and the only thing you have to look forward to is a week and a two hour drive away...

I love this little box of mine :)
And all the people who have contributed to it's existence.

Mommy
Daddy
Grandma and Grandpa Don
Grandma and Grandpa Gailing
Trey
Uncle Jeff
Amanda
Ryan
Uncle Gary
Fredo
Chubis
Matty
Rob
Sanjay.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment