Sunday, November 6, 2011

Rain.

It was 2:30 when I turned the final page of my latest read
A book I devoured cover to cover for sleep wouldn’t come

Wrapped in blankets and clinging to my stuffed tiger
I laid on my back listening to the sounds of the night

My window rattled from the wind’s strong and weary song
A warning of the storm quickly approaching

A homeless man rummaged through the dumpster in our back alley
Searching for bottles
The equivalent of change
                                         The only form such a man will ever know

Sometime during the early morning I dozed off
And woke to the anticipated rain pouring down

I rose with a sleepy smile and stepped into my clothes 
Eager to venture outdoors into this seasonal weather

As I ambled through my favorite of nature’s miracles
Accumulated raindrops soaked through the torn soles of my shoes

            With wet socks and cold toes I headed toward the library
                        There stood a man taking refuge inside a black trash bag
                                    A homeless man – perhaps the one from last night

            From the warmth of my car I looked on and shivered
But I lack an understanding of what real freezing feels like
                                        Indoors and piled under a mountain of fleece
                                                Layered in cotton until my skin disappeared 
                                                            Comfortable. Secure.

Today I cherish the rain a little less. 
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment